:: writing

Reading and writing in English: Reflecting on the stages of beginning to write

imagen::calber

        Since I was little, I lived in a literary environment where people read and wrote, where it was easy to find books and materials that sparked the desire to know. Therefore, I developed very early all the stages that led me to writing and soon I was ready to learn to read and write. I started writing at home with the help of my parents, and after entering elementary school, my process was very advanced in relation to my classmates. I was also lucky with elementary teachers who were instrumental in forming the foundations of writing and reading. I remember that every day the teacher chose one of the students to do these exercises on the blackboard. Normally he was selected by the teacher to go to the blackboard and copy first words and then phrases until he wrote texts. He also accompanied them with drawings that I made myself, copied from the textbook. Sometimes other students participated and we all created a text that we then copied into our notebooks; This activity fulfilled a social and communicative function.
        As for my current writing skills, they have been changing over time. From those predefined calligraphy sheets, I evolved to finding my own personalized calligraphy. I remember the change of letters, the "l" as a stick instead of the one with a hole, the accents, the dots of the "i", the transition from the traditional "a" to the "a" of typewriters. The most stylized use of capital letters. Then my writing underwent another transformation, when I started writing faster to take notes in college, my writing became so stretched and deformed in order to capture everything the professor was saying.
        I am aware that my evolutionary process was somewhat separate from traditional literacy methods that follow single, pre-established steps. This accelerated process occurred due to the special environment I experienced at home, since both of my parents were teachers who guided their children. They taught their children in the selection and development of teaching strategies according to the characteristics and process of their students.